Public Housing in Danger?
Stand Up for Affordable Housing and Smart Decision Making!
Monday, Oct. 28
City Council Chambers
in City Hall
RAD is “Rental Assistance Demonstration”
A voluntary HUD program that will change all or some of public housing in Charlottesville by converting to project based Section 8 housing. CRHA is in a rush to make a big decision about the future of public housing in Charlottesville that could be a disaster for residents!
Please Attend this meeting to make sure CRHA won’t make a bad decision that will hurt communities and eliminate protected affordable housing in Charlottesville!
more info here
TELL THEM: SLOW DOWN! No application for RAD until all the information is in and residents know the full impact on our communities.
DEMAND: Meaningful Resident Input and a full list of Alternatives to RAD before a decision is made!
CRHA WILL WAIT TO APPLY IF RESIDENTS STAND TOGETHER! BE THERE!
What does RAD mean for my public housing?
– Conversion of all or some public housing, to
“project based vouchers” or “project based rental assistance”
– Sets a timeline, 30 to 40 years for the eventual elimination of 376 units of protected affordable housing
– Uses a private model for operating your housing
– Changes to leases, and changes to income targeting in favor of higher incomes – who will be left out?
– More power and authority in the hands of property managers, less oversight from HUD
– Possible elimination of 18 units all at once
– No meaningful Resident Input- decisions have already been made!
- CRHA Commissioners should not rush this process!
- Once an application is accepted they will have to move fast to have all the plans for redevelopment in place.
- Redevelopment needs to be thought through, and residents need to be informed and guiding the process, NOT serving as guinea pigs for an experiment!
- Commissioners have said that RAD will not move forward if residents don’t want it. Hold them to their word!
- There are too many uncertainties about negative impacts on current and future residents;
no decision should be made now!
PHAR is working hard to protect and improve public housing in Charlottesville- stand up for your homes!
for more info, and to receive action alerts e-mail: email@example.com